LOUISVILLE, Ky. – October 5, 2018 –Today, GE Appliances, a Haier company, in partnership with the Metro United Way, will celebrate the Newburg neighborhood with multiple volunteer projects and a $150,000 investment to support area nonprofits. The neighborhood makeover includes projects from landscaping to new sports and recreation fields to installing smoke alarms.
More than 700 GE Appliances (GEA) volunteers will make significant capital enhancements to improve the safety, health and wellbeing of Newburg residents and the community.
- Partnering with Louisville Parks, volunteer teams will beautify the neighborhood in two park locations doing landscaping, tennis and basketball court enhancements, creating a new soccer field (Black Mudd), painting fences and multiple structures, and building a new concession stand (Petersburg).
- GEA will participate in the Red Cross Sound the Alarmcampaign to install smoke alarms and give home fire preparedness information. Volunteers from GEA, Okolona Fire Department and the Red Cross will canvass the Newburg neighborhood as part of the project.
“At GE Appliances, we’re about growing this business so we can give more back to the community,” said Kevin Nolan, president and chief executive officer. “It’s been a great year, and we’re very fortunate, so let’s continue to step up our efforts.”
Each year, GEA employees give their time and talent by volunteering more than 17,000 hours for service projects, skills-based activities, mentoring, blood drives and more. The annual neighborhood impact project supports multiple nonprofits and schools and partners with local community leaders and government officials to create maximum impact in the community.
Theresa Reno-Weber, chief executive officer for the Metro United Way, addressed GEA employees before the community service project began. “Your presence here today is like rocket fuel for the dreams of neighborhood leaders, organizations and families who are working and loving these blocks and neighbors every day.”
In addition to the volunteer labor, several of the nonprofit partners will receive new GEA appliances as part of the project scope.
Volunteer sites for the day:
- Boys and Girls Clubs Newburg
- Lighthouse Community Center
- New Directions
- Newburg Middle School
- Newburg Library
- Newburg Health Center
- Rangeland Elementary School
About GE Appliances
GE Appliances, a Haier company, creates “good things, for life” through our passion for great appliances and the happiness they can bring to every household. With the Monogram®, Café™, GE Profile™, GE®, Haier®and Hotpoint®brands, owners have more choices for making their kitchens and homes amazing each day. Our products include refrigerators, freezers, cooking products, dishwashers, washers, dryers, air conditioners and water filtration systems. For more information, visit www.geappliances.com/our-company.